Dawn Phillips, BA, NTP, CGP
I became interested in the mind-body connection during my college years, when I struggled with an unhealthy lifestyle. I was able to break bad habits using techniques I learned while teaching a smoking cessation class. I began to realize that specific, conscious actions could break negative feedback loops. I read everything I could and experimented with diet, sleep, behaviors, exercise, and meditation... anything that offered the promise of helping me change my unhealthy lifestyle.
As an adult, I continued reading everything I could about the connection between the body and the mind. I was particularly surprised to find a connection between the diet and symptoms that express themselves in ways that get diagnosed as ADD/ADHD, schizophrenia, addictions, and depression. Toxicity in the body and nutritional deficiencies can affect the physical, emotional, and mental states of a human.
I firmly believe that you cannot recover from a huge setback- physical, emotional, or mental - without paying attention to your diet. Let me say that another way...
A nutrient-dense, properly prepared whole foods diet will greatly help your physical, emotional, and mental health.
In cases of toxicity and nutritional deficiencies, a careful diet can greatly reduce a variety of symptoms. Food and supplements are that powerful.
My interests have lead me to pursue certifications so I can help people sort out their symptoms and derive a customized nutritional approach to health from the clues a body gives when it's in distress. Allow me to bring you to the first step of your own dawning wellness.
I am proud to belong to the following organizations :
- Founding Member of the Nutrialliance - Providing a web portal for nutritional therapists and their clients.
- Member of the NTA (Nutritional Therapy Association) - Provides nutritional therapy education, resources, and training.
- Member of the Weston A. Price Foundation - Provides nutrition education and resources.
- Member of the Price-Pottenger Foundation - Provides nutrition education and resources.
- GAPS Practitioner Forum
- NTP Graduates Community (a closed Facebook group; acts as a Practitioner Forum)
- Austin NTP Students 2014 (a closed Facebook group; acts as a Practitioner Forum)
- BA in Psychology, University of Texas at Austin ... with studies in perception, cognition, audiology and speech - language pathology
- NTP - Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, NTA ... taught by Cathy Eason
- FNTP - Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, NTA, taught by Cathy Eason (new credentials, highlighting the ability to perform the Functional Assessment)
- CGP - Certified GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) Practitioner, Immunitrition ... taught by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, with Caroline Barringer
- Level 1 Qigong Instructor - Supreme Science Qigong Center, taught by Jeff Primack
- Level 3 Healing Foods Educator- Supreme Science Qigong Center, taught by Jeff Primack
- Diets I can help you with: Paleo, Paleo Approach, GAPS, Liver Cleanse Diet (Sandra Cabot), Specific Carbohydrate Diet, Ketogenic Diet, Anti-Inflammatory Diet, High Phytochemical
- Mind-body practices support: Nutrition, meditation, qigong, fasting, dancing (trance/rhythmic), yoga
- People I admire: Dr. Andrew Saul, Dr. Abram Hoffer, Julia Ross, Sally Fallon, Dr. Mary Enig, Dr. Loren Cordain, Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson, Chris Kresser, Nora Gedguadas, Dr. Sarah Ballantyne, Sandra Cabot, David Wolfe, Diane Sanfilippo, Dr. Mercola, Pharmacist Ben Fuchs, Matt Ridley, Eckhart Tolle, Thich Nhat Hanh, Jeff Primack